Saturday 22 February 2020

Restaurant Review - Pancakes on the Rocks (Beverly Hills, NSW)

We headed out without a booking for the two of us to celebrate Pinkie's Birthday. Obviously in the name of the restaurant is a clue as to what you should order. The restaurant is part of a chain of eateries with six locations including this one. Five are in Sydney and one is located on the Gold Coast at Surfers Paradise. The chain was founded as the name implies at the Rocks in Sydney, in 1975. Whilst they do some great dessert pancakes their mains are along what I think of as American Style eatery food. Some of the classics include Pork Ribs, beef short ribs, chicken schnitzel, and in keeping with the restaurant's theme a selection of savoury crepes and two savoury pancake options as well. They also sell a selection of plate sized pizzas. All portions are very filling and only a person with a big appetite would risk an entrée for fear of missing out on the pancakes for dessert.

We ordered a rack of the pork ribs with sweet potato chips instead of the wedges and a serving of the American style beef brisket. I had eaten the brisket previously and loved how tender and juicy it was on that previous occasion. This time around it was again tender but maybe anticipation got the better of me and I expected a little too much from it on this occasion. Was still a good meal but part of me wishes I went with the famous beef short ribs. The brisket is served with what are called sidewinder wedges and they are excellent.

The pork ribs however were exactly as expected, juicy and fall off the bone tender with the flavoursome barbecue sauce that is definitely in the yum category. The sweet potato chips were a good side option and a couple of bits of green (salad) to help prevent scurvy. As the restaurant is licenced it would be rude not to wash it down with a nice Crown Lager for old times sake.

And on to dessert. As I mentioned earlier the portion sizes are large and there is little chance of heading home hungry, but you can't really eat at Pancakes without having a pancake for dessert. In the past I have eaten what is titled The Ultimate. The Ultimate is a couple of large crepes filled with cream cheese and and topped with Raspberry coulis  but this time I was looking for a little less indulgence and maybe a touch less sweetness and went with the Apple Crumble buttermilk pancakes. By the way there are 18 pancake options on the dessert menu, so you would have to be a pretty consistent regular to have tried them all.

The Apple Crumble consists of two thick pancakes served over the top of some braised apple and topped with cream and ice cream and crumble topping. I commented during the meal that I think Pancakes is the only place I have been where the meals are larger when they arrive than they appear on the menu. It goes without saying that the pancakes were delicious and extremely filling.

Having perused the menu during the meal I am keen to get back and sample the breakfast menu one day soon. Possibly this will occur after I have found enough time to exercise and burn off the calories from this first meal.

I know I was a little critical of the brisket but all in all I would it was an enjoyable meal with friendly service and we will be back for more in the not too distant future. Definitely to try out the breakfast one weekend. I think I would give it a 7 out of 10.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Love's Kitchen

  I was doing the regular scan of Netflix and Prime video on Saturday night and found this "food movie"  on Prime. The story is ab...