Sunday 15 March 2020

A day in the life of a chef - part 2

Sorry for the wait for part 2. Continuing on with breakfast preparations.

It is now approximately 6.25am. I turn on the heat under the fry-pan to a low to medium heat to preheat the pan before returning to the cool-room to get the sausages to put into the pan for cooking. I only cook between 5 and 9 sausages for the breakfast depending on the usual business of the day. The breakfast gets busier as the week goes on so I cook less earlier in the week and increase numbers as we get closer to Friday. By turning the pan on and then going to get the sausages I allow the pan to preheat a little before adding a little oil and the thin breakfast sausages. The sausages with fry in the pan for approximately 5 to 10 minutes before being added to the oven for 6 minutes to finish cooking. When removing from the oven I will test doneness by inserting a probe into the thickest part of the middle sausage. I tray the bacon. I place nine rashers on each of 3 large trays and 7 on a smaller tray as a backup. The backup tray in cling wrapped and put back into the cool-room to be used if needed. I use our older trays for this as we will not need them later in the morning and also they conduct heat better than the newer stainless steel trays. By this stage the oven is preheating nicely and I put the 3 trays into the oven to cook. In my time at my current site the grill plate has never worked and there have been occasional whispers that a replacement will be installed but this little Chef is not holding his breath. Without a grill the oven is the best way to cook the bacon in my opinion. After putting the bacon into the oven I wait for the the temperature to come back up to 190 Celsius before adjusting the timer to 15 minutes remaining.

Whilst waiting I get 4 tomatoes from the cool-room, selecting the best available, usually that means the biggest and reddest. I remove the core with an upturned paring knife and halve the tomatoes horizontally. They are put into a half size baking tray and put into the oven for 8 minutes. I then get the hash browns from the smaller freezer and put 6 of them into a fryer basket ready to drop into the fryer when the hash browns have 3 minutes remaining on their cooking time. When the tomatoes are cooked I will add the hash browns to the same half tray and take them to the baine marie. By this time the manager will be in and will have filled the baine marie with hot water and turned it on to maximum heat so that it is ready to keep the breakfast food at the correct temperature. That usually for us is above around 70 degrees. The browned and finished in the oven sausages should be ready around this time also and their half tray is placed in the same slot as the tomato tray in the hot baine. I will also start to pan fry eggs at this time. I again preheat the pan on low for about a minute, add a little canola oil and then the six eggs to the pan. I will do 12 eggs to start us off. Six will be sunny side up and six flipped and cooked to a firm consistency. The eggs are transferred to a long oven tray and put into the first place in the hot baine. They are covered with a plastic lid to reduce drying out.

Around this time the oven will be buzzing to let me know that the bacon is ready. I will get the bacon from the oven using either heat resistant gloves or tea towels to prevent burning my hands and move the bacon into another long tray to be placed in the hot baine alongside the eggs. The oven trays are covered with greaseproof paper to made clean up easier and initially the trays are put into the wash up room with the paper still on as they a now covered in hot fat from the cooked bacon. When the trays cool enough to solidify the fat it and the paper will be put into the garbage. To do so when still hot would result in a garbage bag full of holes.

Until next time happy cooking and eating!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Love's Kitchen

  I was doing the regular scan of Netflix and Prime video on Saturday night and found this "food movie"  on Prime. The story is ab...