Tuesday 24 November 2020

Thai Cookery series - Coming soon

 


As you may or may not know I have a particular interest in Thai cooking and indeed in Thailand as a whole. This is largely (actually entirely) due to the fact that some nine years ago I met and 2 years later married my lovely (definitely not a good enough descriptive) wife Pinkie. At the time of meeting her I had never visited Thailand with the exception of 2 visits to the airport in Bangkok whilst transiting once to London and another time on my way to Cambodia. Maybe 4 visits actually as I think I stopped on the way to and from both places. Definitely not following the minimalist use of words guide to blogging today. Ouch just wasted more. Oh well.



So on with the show. In the coming weeks and possibly months I will be searching out some recipes and digging deeply to come up with some authentic Thai food recipes. As my wife is from Chiangmai in northern Thailand the recipes with definitely have a northern Thai leaning to them. As I have a Thai local living with me and a collection of her relatives to authenticate the recipes I will hopefully be able to get you as close to the real thing as possible. 



Thai cooking and Thai food is something I am passionate about and I am hoping that this will shine through in the posts which are to follow. What are some of the recipes you can look forward to seeing?

Well off the top of my head I would say you can expect:

  1. Curried noodle soup with Chicken ข้าวฃอยไก่
  2. Pork mince stir-fry with Thai Basil ผัดกะเพราหมู
  3. Spicy salad with pork mince ลาบหมู
  4. Sticky rice ข้าวเหนียว
  5. Crispy pork stir fry with Chinese Broccoli and Oyster sauce ผักคะน้าหมูกรอบ
  6. Grilled Chicken with fragrant dipping sauce ไก่ย่าง
  7. Northern Thai spicy sausage ไส้อั่ว
  8. Green Papaya Salad ส้มตำ
  9. Northern Thai Pork Curry แกงฮังเลหมู
  10. Thai pork skewers หมูปิ้ง

And these ten are just the beginning. Food and cooking for me has been a great adventure right from the start. Nothing excites me more than returning home from a holiday to a foreign land and trying to recreate the dishes I tried whilst on my journey. Hopefully I can do these dishes justice. I recall the famed American chef Andy Rikker saying in reply to someone complimenting him on his food (he is famous for cooking authentic Thai cuisine in the USA) and he replied something to the effect that it was not his food but simply his best efforts to cook real Thai food. And that is what I will be attempting to illustrate here. Hopefully my first recipe won't be too far away. Happy Cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love's Kitchen

  I was doing the regular scan of Netflix and Prime video on Saturday night and found this "food movie"  on Prime. The story is ab...